Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Papa George

If there was such a label as step grandfather, then I guess that would be the label I have to give to Papa George. He was the only grandfather I ever knew growing up. His name was George Bradham, but we called him Papa George. He was married to my Mom's mother, Rhetta, and they lived in Sumter, SC.

We took many trips to Sumter to visit them during holidays, family reunions in other parts of the lower state, and just in general. He loved my brother Tim and I so much and would often times take us to do various things including some fishing as well as some trips to Dunkin Donuts. He always invested time with us when we were there in Sumter as well as when He would visit in Abbeville.

I remember he was also responsible for stirring the love for pro wrestling between us and him during the 80s. Back then on Saturday evenings, World Championship Wrestling (which used to be Georgia Championship Wrestling) was THE thing to watch. It would come on from 6:05 until 8:05. Anytime we were together we would watch it and of course our favorite was Ric Flair. As a matter of fact the two people he liked onTV the most were Ric Flair and Fonzy from Happy Days. We all loved watching wrestling together and those were some good times.

I also remember a very special time in my life when Papa George would stamp his imprint on my young life. In 1986, I had accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior during VBS at my home church Southside Baptist in Abbeville. I remember my Mama calling Mama Rhetta and Papa George to let me tell them over the phone. They were very excited and proud of me.

A few weeks later we went down to Sumter for a visit. During that visit Papa George told me he was going to take me to Dunkin Donuts and it was just going to be me and him. I remember when we got there, he was telling the waitress there about the fact that I had been saved and he was just glowing. He would then go on to tell a few others around the table we were at. By that time he started talking to me and just telling me how proud he was of the decision I made. He asked me a few questions and then began to tell me that he and Mama Rhetta had been praying for me and the time that would come for me to make this decision. I saw him glow so much and that was one trip to the donut shop I would never forget because his love for me just overflowed.

In 1988 he had developed lung cancer and then began to really suffer in 1989. I remember one of the last times we saw him feeling somewhat ok that he had lost alot of weight and really did not look good but he was in good spirits. Well one day during my Literature class in 7th grade, I was called to the front. Mama had called and said that he was not good and they were calling the family in. So we immediately went down to Sumter and had a chance to spend some final moments with Papa George. He looked so frail and was really struggling to stay alive. It was very emotional and also difficult to witness. Then later that night I was in his room when he finally passed away. I couldn't bear to see him lifeless so I ran out of the house crying and just really upset. My Dad came and consoled me and we began the mourning process. I had just lost my Papa George and the pain was very tough to handle.

I remember being at the funeral and just watching how tough it was for Mama Rhetta to say goodbye. It was a big loss in my family's life, especially Tim and myself. He was the only grandpa we knew and had. And even with all the good memories it was just difficult to handle. I did see and hear during that time from all the many people he did impact. I understood how bold a witness of his faith that he was. It really made that time in the donut shop just stand out more. And people would tell us that he would always brag on his "boys" and all we had accomplished. He didn't get to see Tim get married later that year but I know that he loved Tim's wife Terri so much and it was a tough loss for her as well. It definitely took some time to get over his loss in my family.

So I know one day I will see my two blood grandfathers and yes I do have many stories that were shared to me about them. But I will always cherish the Grandpa I had on this earth in Papa George. He was one of a kind and I also look forward to seeing him one day again. I know he would be proud of what God has done in my life and where He has taken me.

No comments:

Post a Comment