Wednesday, June 25, 2014

What's really important?

Yes it's been way too long between posts but I always feel that if I am gonna do a post then I gotta get in all I can in one shot. It's busy with youth ministry stuff as well as preparing for our third child on the way. Hard to believe that our first Caitlin was born over 6 years ago. But finding out about her came at at a very unique time. So the other day I was thinking of that story that really impacted my life and hopefully you can take away from it. 

In 1994 I had the opportunity to work for a Christian Bookstore called The Shepherd's Shoppe. For about 9 years in total I worked as the Music Manager and had some long but very blessed memories. Some of the funny ones will have their time to shine as a part of these stories I share. But I wanted to tell you about a very memorable week while I was with the store. Every summer there would be a trade show called CBA where a lot of the Christian retailers would gather to look at upcoming new products as well as place their pre-orders. It was also where all of the major companies had some of their authors and music artists there to promote their respective deals. I had been before about 3 years ago and that was one of the best trips ever. At this particular show in July 2007 I had the opportunity to meet several different personalities such as Former Colts coach Tony Dungy, Steven Curtis Chapman, Karen Kingsbury, Casting Crowns, and some others. I was able to get some pictures with them as well as several autographs on CDs and some books. It was another great experience thanks to The Shepherd's Shoppe. 

Well I was heading out to leave that Tuesday afternoon. I was anxious to get home and show Crystal all the music, books and pics I had. I was way jacked and pulled into the driveway. As I was unpacking I soon discovered that I had left a very important bag behind. In this bag was several of the autographed merchandise I had gotten as well as our recently purchased new digital camera. Yep all those pics with the peeps was sitting back in Atlanta. Ok to be honest I lost it. Went nuts and absolutely was so angry with myself. Well imagine if you would my lovely wife coming outside to greet me after being gone only to see me highly ticked. She hugged me and I hugged her back very half hearted. She asked what was wrong as I began to vent to her about my discovery in the driveway. She said well calm down just call Jack, who was my boss and still in Atlanta, and see if he can check the parking garage. I knew I had brought everything out to the car. So I called him and asked if he could check when they got back to the hotel to see if it was reported. I went inside and sat on the couch with so much anger I couldn't stand it. I could tell Crystal was bearing my fury and was really not wanting to hear alot of complaining since I just got home. I was so upset thinking I lost the autographed stuff and more importantly a brand new digital camera which she loved so much. She told me we can get another camera but I knew she had to be upset. 

Well after about 10 minutes of having tears of anger and frustration with some venting involved, Crystal said, "Well can I give you something?" I was like sure. She then brought in a gift box and sat it in my life. I was thinking oh wow I have been a total dud and she is giving me something. I then opened the box and unwrapped what was one of the greatest gifts I have ever received. I pulled out a baby bib that read "I Luv My Daddy". I instantly had gone from tears of anger to tears of great joy and surprise. I hugged Crystal as we both cried and were so happy. In one moment I had been taught a sincere and valuable lesson that would forever be etched on my heart. For all of the supposed loss I had thought I suffered, I gained something so precious. The gift of Fatherhood. The gift of a child. The gift of life. A life that would share my blood and that I would be responsible for. I would love her so much and go out of my way to protect her and train her in the way she should go. What a miracle and blessing that God so graciously allowed me to have. It was a moment that would stay fresh in my heart for a very long time. So the things sometimes we treasure or lust for or even put on a pedestal, are but momentary. 

Matthew 6:19-21 
Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. 

Never take for granted the treasures you have been blessed with. More importantly truly wrap your arms around the treasure of Jesus if He lives in your heart. I love my family and would never put anything materialistic before them again. When I see those little arms reach up for me, I instantly compare it to the way we should approach God in our lives. He loves us so much and he does care for you and for me. 

Oh and in case you are wondering I got called soon after the news was discovered about my newly crowned title of Daddy. My boss was able to get my bag which someone had given to the security guard in the parking garage. It was as if I was being stretched out by the Lord to see if I really was ready for my Daddy news. So yet again don't sweat the things of the earth when God is in control. And always be mindful of the things that really matter. God Bless



No comments:

Post a Comment