Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Jesus And Popcorn

This past weekend saw the release of the Son Of God movie to various theaters around the country. I took my youth group to see it this past Sunday during our fellowship time. I was thankful of the various conversations that came afterwards which was why I wanted to take them.  Famous TV producer Mark Burnett (Survivor) and his wife, actress Roma Downey (Touched By An Angel) bring to the big screen their adaptation of certain events displayed in the life of Jesus. They produced a TV mini series, The Bible, for the History Channel last year to rave reviews and big ratings as it covered many significant stories from the Bible. While much of the footage for the movie aired on TV there were some additional scenes added as well as some scenes removed. The mini series had an amazing soundtrack and a true big movie scope to it unlike anything before. It also showed a grit to it that made you feel like you were right in the stories as they happened. This movie branched out of the mini series to go along with the Easter season and has seen a great response at the box office. "Son of God opened in second place with an estimated $26.5 million, exceeding more than the $15-$20 million many claimed it would have. Even the distributor 20th Century Fox predicted $12-$15 million. There will always be a target audience to reach when doing these movies but most experts claim that it will always be a roll of the dice.



Now let me be very clear that if you are going to this movie to see all of the context as recorded as it happened word for word via the Holy Bible I regret to inform you that you will not see a lot of what was recorded. The movie itself runs at 150 minutes and is more or less a capsule summary of events in Jesus life. And you are not getting all of the Gospels in chronological order either so take note of that. So many times we hear and read about what all is left out of these movies, misinterpreted, or how they may be too contemporary, too traditional, too intense, too exaggerated, too Baptist, too Methodist, too Catholic, too religious etc. As a believer and a struggling at times but growing disciple of Jesus Christ let me just say to you don't be caught up in what the movie doesn't say or do. The very purpose of why Christ came to this world being born to die for our transgressions is indeed a part of this movie. The price was paid in His sacrifice so that we may have eternal life with Him. The fact that He was and is the I AM is stated. He shows his compassion and quiet confidence at times on the screen. And yes if you are not moved by the scenes at the cross then you probably don't get it and more or less this blog will not speak to you. Now sure we can go and pull out all of our complaints and point out whats missing from this film as most are doing. But in a way it's ironic how much like being in a church in today's culture, we only pull out what we want to hear and see done. We tend to take what benefits us and maybe tears down others and mix it into some kind of legalistic mojo we wear on our sleeves. A sad analogy is the fact that we as men struggle to listen in life especially if we are married. I hear my wife alot and many times very clear but I don't listen to what she is saying when in fact she is sharing something way awesome to hear. I challenge you to watch the movie and then come away wanting to dig deeper for yourself. The fact that there are some specifics that are indeed left out should make you want to do this. Go in all the Gospels and read with your own eyes the beautiful masterpiece that is painted. All answers are there. If you're not careful you may come away with more than you started with as far as your faith goes. I'm glad that we get this movie however in some ways a short version to view as an offering and testimony to what He, Jesus, himself did for us. And to celebrate not only what He has done in the past but what He is doing now  in our every day lives. Or even what He can do for us. For you.




Yes I know there may never be a perfect film or series documenting the Gospels. But see if I'm depending solely on what I see to believe or what somebody else tells me then my faith is weak. Faith is shared in the bible being defined in Hebrews chapter 11 by not only a definition but examples spread throughout God's Word. Faith is love in action as well. My faith is challenged to go deeper and hold tighter even if I can't see whats ahead of me. I trust in His will and His Word alone. I am thankful that I am not dependent on a movie or another book to show me the whole story. From an early age until now I am holding on to the truth that I as you can be or you have been saved by grace through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. So go see the movie and then go back as I did and rediscover the whole story. His story. What He said and What He did. 



So maybe as you go to watch the movie for whatever reason that may be, while eating that bucket of popcorn there may be a moment that causes you to reflect or even celebrate who Jesus is to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment